Saturday, February 25, 2006

There Is A Gnome In My Garden


Yes the things you find in your garden, hiding amongst the parsley and mint.

He was a fun knit and usually I detest the finishing of any knitting but even more so the finishing of toys, but he wasn't too painful. I used 8ply Heirloom out of my stash and ordered the yarn for his beard and face from MAVIS a UK store which was great to deal with and my order arrived within a couple of days. I ordered enough to be able to make a few of these little fellows as they would make awesome presents for that person who has everything not to mention a great way to use up some more stash.

I got to practice seam sewing, which CATHY showed me a neater way of doing at SnB on Tuesday. Thanks Cathy, I still have a lot of improving but practice makes perfect they say. I used to get my Mum to do all my sewing up (bad mistake, anyone who does this) so never learnt and before I knew it she was gone and I suddenly had to do it myself and really didn't have a clue how.

So now it is back to more socks, he did make a nice little change.

15 comments:

2paw said...

I love your gnome!! Does he have a name? Like Gnigel, Gnicholas or Gneville?? You are so clever!!!

Anonymous said...

Oooh I do love him! He is so gorgeous!

What a bugger I cant buy things from overseas!!

Katt

amanda j said...

At least he won't be cold out in the garden! He is so adorable.

L. said...

He's one hairy little guy! You are so creative....and I see him as "Gnomester" the guy from down under. :)

Yarnsticksbooks said...

I love him. I have the pattern sitting here waiting for me to get another attack of startitis :)

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Oh my goodness that is so cute!! I like the name Gneville for him...Gneville G. Gnome.

Unknown said...

wow the gnome is soo cute. well done.

Procrastiknitter said...

He is just precious!

zippiknits...sometimes said...

He is so darling he just makes me laugh and giggle whenever I see him sitting there on the garden wall in his "isness". Thanks for putting up a picture of you wee garden gnome.

Tracy Batchelder said...

He's great! I have never bought novelty yarn before, but now I will. The beard is amazing! So fun. I have to make one.

melissa said...

oohh, he is gorgeous .. definately male !!
I under estimated the amount of green wool i had .. So until i find the matching colour my fella is 1/2 done ..(body, leg and 1/2 a leg)
(now knitting the seal from the new issue (in aussie that is )
i have found what that type of yarn is for (eyelash).. beards and animals .!

Unknown said...

Your knitting is going from great to awesome. Well done. I too avoid toys. I don't think I'm ready yet

Suzi said...

Oh he is so adorable! I do like him. I have to stop looking at people's blogs I keep seeing things I want o knit!

Knittinreed said...

Cute little fella!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog - the patterns from that site are free, easily downloaded and translated into English. They give all the info for the yarn, so you can sustitute if you see somthing you just must knit!

My Five Sons said...

The gnome is great!!!!!I haven't knitted toy things(if you could call this fello a toy) for years,where did you find the pattern?
My LWS has this yarn that looks like real fur when its finished and I thought of his beard straight away!Its long and thicker than normal furry scarfy novelty yarns!Ideal I reackon!