Sunday, June 04, 2006

My Labour Of Love

There was a time when I would knit and sew the majority of my childrens clothes, that was until they discovered Billabong, Roxy and in my boys case Pumpkin Patch. Then Mums creations suddenly weren't as cool anymore. So when Janelle found a jumper that she liked in Creative Knitting, I didn't hesitate in offering to knit it for her. I suppose there is a part of me that still likes to create garments for my children, other than hats, socks and beanies which are obviously still cool enough to be accepted. So without further ado I introduce Janelles Lacy Jumper.

Yes this one was definately a labour of love as I don't know if I would ever knit it again. Now that sounds as if I hated knitting it, which I didn't, I actually enjoyed knitting it. Until I reached the dreaded shaping and then it was a bit of a nightmare. I know I have this love/hate relationship with lace but this one really tested my loving side to the limit. When there is a note at the start of the pattern warning the knitter to take extra care during the shaping, that should have made me think twice but oh no all I thought was how hard could it possibly be????? Well anyway it is finished and Janelle loves it so all the muttering and mumbling and swearing off lace knitting forever was worth every hour put into it.

If you would like to give it a go it is in the Australian Creative Knitting magazine issue 11. It is also available in Patons book #1230 Resort Knits. It is knitted in Patons Zhivago which is 50% tencel and 50% acrylic.

27 comments:

Rachael Elswyk said...

Sharon, it looks beautiful! well done!!!!!

zippiknits...sometimes said...

It's worth every single second that you spent on it, just absolutely gorgeous, Sharon. What a beautiful thing.

Belinda said...

OMG, that's gorgeous, she must be so happy with it. That's cool!!

Belinda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Really beautiful!!! Simply gorgeous!! I'm sure she'll love it to bits!!

Ada said...

Beautiful!! Fabulous knitting.

Anonymous said...

That's really nice and a cool colour too!!!

Jacqui said...

What can I say but wow! Not only does the style really seam to suit her but the colour is perfect for jeans; I'll bet she'll get a lot of wear out of it. Nice job on the lace!

Jacqui said...

Umm... that would be "seem" to suit her. I really should start proofreading before I publish! {blush}

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful sweater (jumper)! She is so lucky to have a Mom like you to make such a pretty sweater for her!!

And isn't it amazing how, once the object is finished, we begin to forget all the agony of knitting it?

amanda j said...

I will enjoy my kids asking me to knit them things while I can! Lovely jumper.

Jennifer said...

What a lovely jumper! Nicely done.

Janette said...

Fabulous result! It looks great on too.
Janette

Craftybernie said...

It truly is a labour of love! Congrats. on getting it finished. Time to crack out the bubbly to celebrate that wonderful achievement. Now what's next on your list? Lol.

Becky said...

Wow Janelle looks lovely in that jumper. Well done you for getting through it, I hope you are celebrating with a box of choccies or something - you deserve it !

Sue said...

Wow, what a gorgeous jumper, love the color too. I like using Zhivago as well as it is nice and soft.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The jumper looks fabulous!! You did a great job with it!

Love the new look of your blog as well!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! It fits you really well!

Anonymous said...

It looks fantastic Sharon!! You did a great job! I hope she wears it a lot knowing how nutty it drove you!

Katt

Ann said...

It's really gorgeous - I am sure it's worth all the effort & you have done such a great job!

Anonymous said...

See how wonderful it looks and we were all obsessing about the increasing!! janelle looks cery cool!!!

Tracy Batchelder said...

This is so pretty! I'm glad she loves it.

My Five Sons said...

You've done a beautiful job!,and a great fit too!
I was only looking at that pattern on Sunday night and now I know what it would look like!!!!!!!

Larjmarj said...

ABsolutely GORgeous!!! Wow wow wow!

Sherri said...

This is so so pretty! I know the feeling of wanting to make things for your kids...and so rewarding when they WANT us to!

HPNY KNITS said...

stunning!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon, Just looking at your Betty Boop jumper where did you get the pattern from I would just love one. Thanks Kaylene Beddows