Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Why I Love Long Weekends

Why do I love long weekends, well of course there is an extra sleep in but not that I get any extra sleep because I stay up till all hours telling myself that I can sleep in tomorrow. Which of course I don't end up doing because the whole point to a long weekend is the fact that I get to spend more time knitting. So what does all this mean?

Ta da I have a FO, it was started back in April last year, got shelved and I found it again last week. The main body of the jumper which is knitted in the round was complete but still to be knitted were the sleeves and the fair isle yoke.
It is a size small so I have asked Janelle to model it for me, the pattern is from The Best Of Lopi and the yarn used is Grignasco Tyrol a lovely soft Italian yarn that my LYS stocks or should I say stocked as they told me that when it sells out they aren't going to stock it anymore. I don't know what I am going to do with this yet as it is too small for me and it is not 'Janellish' (a term used for Janelles tastes in everything from clothing to room decorating) so it may end up on the stall at the market but with a price tag of $160 (there is $150 worth of yarn in the thing) that might scare people off, especially here in little old Launceston.

I started another pair of socks, this pair for the market at the end of the month. Once again using Opal and Shazzas Socks pattern I think that I can now do these in my sleep. I quite often read on blogs and forums of knitters who hate plain stocking stitch, I for one still love it and I personally think that most self patterned yarn needs no further stitch enhancing, especially this colourway as there is so much happening with the colours anyway. So as you can see that is why I love long weekends, I can get so much knitting done.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Right with you on the long weekend thing, Sharon! More of them, I say.

Liz said...

The sweater looks great!

Jennifer said...

Lovely sweater! Self patterning yarns really don't need fancy stitches, I agree!

Anonymous said...

Only $160 for the Lopi jumper? Can't you sell it for more! I've seen lots of handknit jumpers that are priced way over $200, and especially yours is made of good yarn.

Anonymous said...

I am with you when it comes to stocking stitch socks. Especially with self patterning wool.

The jumper is gorgeous and is so soft!! You could always try selling it to someone online via your blog (or for a massive excellent swap of some STR wool! lol)

Katt

Suzi said...

The jumper looked fab! It's a shame it dosen't have an intended home any more, but you may yet find one for it.

The sock looked lovely! Out of the stash and onto someone's feet! The Buddhists say you must give away the old for the new to come to you. I think applied to stash management that means one must knit somehting up to make way for new yarn.

Suzi

Knittinreed said...

I like those long weekends too. The sweater is beautiful - nice job!
I agree with you on the socks- plain stockinette for patterned yarn. I see so many beautifully patterned socks in patterned yarn -while the knitting is lovely, the texture is obscured by the yarn.

L. said...

You are just one knitting machine, girlfriend! Love the Lopi sweater! :)

Craftybernie said...

Ditto to Yuli! I have also come across hand knit sweaters online for at least $150 US - $200. There are obviously people out there who are willing to pay. You might get lucky - even if you only get your cash back to buy even more stash...