Saturday, June 30, 2007

A Competition At Shazzas Knits




My dear friend Mary has been waiting patiently for me to finish these for her, they would keep getting put to the bottom of the 'must do' pile, but finally I cast off and gave them to her on Monday. She loves them because she is a purple and red girl, which is why when I saw this Opal colourway I immediately thought of her. The pattern is my good ol' faithful sock pattern, I still feel a plain pattern for self striping sock wool works best.

Another of my patterns, which happens to be my favourite is Muse Hat, I make and sell these over at my Etsy Shop. This was one of the first hats that I started selling there and I was surprised that they didn't sell as well as the other styles available. I had a rethink and decided to reshoot the photos and this time I positioned the hat slightly different on the *styro head, since doing so the Muse hats have been flying out of Shazzas house and into homes all over the country and world. How exciting!!

*I must give her a name a la Cindy's bare naked lady, so I have decided to hold a blog competition. Below are some pictures of as yet unnamed styro modelling the latest Muse Hat, suggest a name for her and the most original name that I like, will win! Win what you ask? Your very own Muse Hat, knitted by me in your choice of colour. I know that most readers of knitting blogs are in fact knitters and would probably like more wool, needles or even a pattern but I thought that for once wouldn't it be nice to have something handknit especially for you to wear, that was made lovingly by someone else. Even if you don't wear hats you can always put it away as a present for that hard to buy for person, so leave your answer in the comments or if you wish to stay anonymous, email me (email addy in my profile section) and next Saturday I will announce the winner. In the event of more than one person selecting the winning name I shall do a draw to determine the winner.




Leah, you asked me a question in my last posts comments about wool shops in Launceston, well unfortunately they are very light on. We have one specialty shop, Knits, Needles and Wool which is in Tattlers Arcade in the city centre and then of course there is Spotlight in Cimitere Street, which is everywhere anyway so not really special. I'm afraid that is it as far as knitting and/or wool stores here in Launceston, other than Waverly which you already know about, sad but true. I love Knits, Needles and Wool and it is where I do all my shopping except of course for my favourite online store in the world. Fellow Launcestonians if you know of any others please could you mention it in the comments so that Leah can read it there.

Till next time, happy knitting and good luck with the naming of the styro head.

15 comments:

Larjmarj said...

"Polly Styrina"

A first and a last name ;-)

LOVE the muse pattern, I've made 2 myself, I am still trying to work out how to add the brim.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Esme's in Kings Meadows, although her selection is teeny tiny!

I suggest Ambar for your head, because I did some research and polystyrene begins it's life as a resin taken from liquidambar orientalis. I'm a nerd. Sorry.

metal and knit said...

You could call her Xanadu as in the muses from that movie.

Jan said...

How about Calliope because she was regarded as chief of the muses. She could oversee and inspire your work.

Anonymous said...

The BareNakedLady thanks you for the publicity, especially as she is in her enhanced mode!!!! The socks are beautiful and Mary must love them!!

Anonymous said...

Ack! I'm so bad at naming so I'll just leave it to other people. It is so pretty though!

Knittinreed said...

I think she is the Darling Diva since she gets to wear all your beautiful creations!

Ann said...

The socks is lovely - you are right about keeping it plain when using variegated yarn. Good idea for the contest but I am not good with names!

catsmum said...

Pollyanna!

Andrea said...

Like metal and knit, I thought of Xanadu, but naming her after the main character, "Kira". The only other suggestion I had was "Thalia", the muse of comedy, because knitting should be fun (not counting frogging fair-aisle).

Over The Top Aprons said...

Your hats are great! Enjoy your blog!

Anonymous said...

Thankyou Sharon for the answering my question about wool shops in Launceston, I'll check that one out. Kind regards Lea

Crystal @ A Well-Feathered Nest said...

The socks are cute. I have never tried socks because I have a love/hate relationship with dpns.

AR said...

Pretty, pretty socks!

I'd love one of your hats, but I'm so bad at naming things. I like the names other more original people have come up with, though!

knitseashore said...

I think Polly is pretty hard to beat. But your model looks French to me with her hat placed over her eye like that, so I'm thinking Cherie or Amelie or something like that.

So glad your socks are finished -- they are very pretty!