Thursday, February 16, 2006

First Lighthouse Sock Completed



I managed to resist the urge to abandon this project all together, you can ask Janelle to verify that on Tuesday night I had it in my hands and was about to rip it all out and forget that I had ever started it. She talked me out of it, thankfully as I am sure I would have regretted it if I did. What exactly is wrong with it you ask? Well you saw all the ends involved in a previous post, well once I got those sewn in I could get on with the rest of the sock. But because the top is intarsia the pattern is knitted on two needles and then the seam is sewn and you then continue in the round for the heel and foot. This is what I don't like, the seam, socks to me have no joins and as I am not the worlds greatest hand sewer you get this


I just don't like it. Anyway as Janelle pointed out to me the other night, it is the overall sock that you see. If anyone has knitted this sock before and can give me any pointers on that seam bizzo, please, please let me know. I have even contemplated knitting the whole intarsia piece in the round but I am assuming that with all the colours it would be way too fiddly.

On another totally unrelated topic, Tasmanian Metro bus drivers are on strike, they are owned by the government and basically they want more money. I had to take the kids to school this morning and the traffic was a nightmare, as this strike coincides with the public schools all returning back after the summer holidays. I am not going to judge them as I don't know the facts but I do think that it is a pity that this strike really affects the elderly and children of our state. I do hope that the government and the bus drivers can come to some agreement soon.

15 comments:

2paw said...

Sharon, your sock is beautiful, stunning , amazing!!! I have no sewing together hints. I hate sewing up which is why socks are so great!! I usually knit my pieces together when I have a cardi or jumper. Good on Janelle: she was right. Can't wait to see in person ( sock-on??) on Tuesday!!!
I think everyone has the right to strike. I support that strongly. But - I think they should have driven the buses and taken no fares. This would have hurt the Government but not disadvantaged the public.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Oh my goodness!! Your sock is fabulous, and I love it!!! You've done a great job. Sorry I can't help with the seam business though...

Donna (Random Knits) said...

The sock is gorgeous!
Donna
Random Knits

2paw said...

I have finished 1 sock!!!!! I am very happy!!!!

L. said...

Sharon, I love the sock! You did a great job knitting it, so don't worry about the seam....the intarsia work is wonderful! :)

2paw said...

Yes, I know this is my THIRD comment!! Sharon, I might try to make a pattern like you do with yours in the side bar!!!!! Glad you managed to make it home safely!!!

Ada said...

Oh my goodness, that sock is beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

i plan on ooooohing and aaaaaaahing over those socks for a bit longer.....

ooooooooooooooooooooh.....aaaaaaaaaaaaaah....

hope you bring them along Tuesday! i cant wait to see them..they are great!

Katt

sheep#100 said...

Nice sock! What detail!

Sorry about the transit strike.

Tracy Batchelder said...

I'm glad you didn't rip out the sock. It's really great! I don't think anyone likes seaming except the people who have figured out how to do it neatly. I'm not experienced enough in this area to give advice, but I know there are books that can help and there are probably websites too. I've even heard that some yarn shops will do finishing work for you--for a fee, of course.

Jacqui said...

That's an amazing sock! As others have said, with the intarsia your eye doesn't even go to the seam.

I ran into the same problem with the Wallace and Grommit hat I made at Christmas. I ended up wrapping the end stitch of each row (as you do in short-rows) and going back and forth, but in hindsight I would just seam next time. I still ended up with an "obvious" join. I don't think you can do intarsia fully in the round, but if you find a way please share!

Unknown said...

What fantastic socks. Almost Sharon, almost you tempt me to socks. I would love to make those for Rowan but he may be a bit small yet.

Janette said...

Hello and Wow! Those socks are fabulous. I too am pleased that you did not frog and kept going.

You cannot do intarsia in the round.

As for your sock seam. Do you know how to work a mattress stitch seam? No. Well go take a look at the knitty site http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/mattress.html they explain it just as I do - in pictures and words... so easy.
This is how I have sewn up all my garments all my life.

Kirsti said...

Wow. That sock is breathtakingly gorgeous. Haven't a clue about sewing it up, but as I've never dared even attempt intarsia, I'm completely impressed. Nobody will be looking at the seam - they'll all be stunned by the colour work!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the offer of help Sharon (for my blog) After I changed the whole template I realised that it was the size of the buttons that was causing the problem, but I didn't think about reducing their size duh! I have so much to learn.